I have always loved eating spaghetti as a kid. This was my favourite food growing up. I remember my mum’s closest friend, Tita (Auntie) Sheila, who was our neighbour and a very good cook, would always give us baked spaghetti every Christmas. I remember always waiting for her by the door for that freshly baked spaghetti topped with melted creamy cheese. My mum would not let us eat until 12 midnight for the Christmas eve dinner. I patiently waited ecstatically for this dish every time.
I have created my own version of this dish and it as yummy as my Tita Sheila’s recipe. My friends always ask me to cook this whenever they come over for a visit. This dish is also perfect for any gatherings– so easy to make, yet delicious! Perfect with garlic bread!
500g spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions
500g pork and beef minced
500g pasta sauce
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup butter
1 medium size tomato
1 brown onion
1 medium size capsicum
3 cloves garlic
dash of dried oregano
1 red pepper
Ham slices (optional)
Salt and pepper
¼ cup butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 ¼ cup fresh milk
- Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Brown the meat in medium heat.
- Set the meat on the side and add in butter.
- Add the garlic, saute for about a minute, then add the onion. When onion softens, mix with the meat.
- Add the tomato and capsicum.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste. I used fish sauce in this recipe. Cook for about 10 minutes until the flavours set in the meat.
- Add the tomato sauce and mix well. The add the beef stock. Cook for 3 minutes, then add a dash of dried oregano.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is a bit thick.
- Add the ham slices then simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the spaghetti sauce. Mix well.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the white sauce.
- Top with some grated cheese (optional).
- Put in the preheated oven 350º Fahrenheit or 176º Celsius oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter then add the flour in medium heat. Mix well until it becomes a bit thick and smooth.
- Add the grated cheese then the fresh milk. Wait for the sauce to thicken. Set aside.